Sunday, January 30, 2011

I didn’t know I was pregnant until the baby came!

Seriously. There is a TV program now with this theme. Again, seriously, I asked myself. How could a woman possibly NOT know she was pregnant? I had 2 children and in the second month, I was visited by the Morning Sickness Fairy, who evidently loved me and stayed with me morning and night for half of my pregnancy. During the 3rd month, I started to have Braxton Hicks contractions, which persisted until I delivered. Not to mention that basketball-sized object that appeared in my belly. So, seriously, how can you not know?

To be fair, I did hear about the one surprised mother who was quite overweight and had a very small, premature baby, even while on birth control. Ok, maybe it could happen, but...

Where I see a parallel to this blog is the person who lives in Southern California and still is in denial of where he or she lives. This is Earthquake Country, friend! You can deny it all you want, but the geology is clear. The periodic small to medium tremblers are whispers in all of our ears. The Big One is coming.

To be fair to these individuals, we really don’t know when the statistically given event will take place. It could be while I am typing this, or 100 years from now. The only problem is that the last “big one” to occur in this neck of the woods was about 150 years ago and, their occurrence has been historically about every...150 years!

I don’t like being the Chicken Little type who is constantly yelling the “Earth is going to shake, the earth is going to shake!” However, I would rather be more like your friend gently urging you to find ways, even little ways, every day to protect yourself in the event of a disaster. It might not even be an earthquake. Maybe it is a flood, or a wide-range power outage, or anything else that disrupts your daily life.

Whatever it is, you shouldn’t be totally surprised when it happens. At least you can say, “I saw it coming.”

No comments:

Post a Comment