Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Prepredness can't take a vacation

My husband thinks that I can take a week or two off from my blog when on vacation, but I just can't.  I am a little obsessed possibly, but I can't help it.  Things keep popping in my head and I need to get them out!

For example, I was curious how Hawaiians prepare for disaster.  It is so beautiful and relaxed here with the weather sunny and 85 year round, it sure would make it hard to think of anything going bad.  But I suppose with the tsunamis hitting recently and a gigantic volcano on the other side of the island blowing out several thousands of tons of lava every day or two, it really should give anyone pause.

Responsibly, Hawaii has a state emergency preparedness site with the usual references to FEMA information but with a little local add on that I really thought was great.  Along with the usual list of water, food, medicine, it was noted that it should all fit in a five gallon bucket.  Wait, that's genius!  Each person could have their own bucket with their clothes, small tools, food and such.  Customizing these buckets and making each person in the household responsible for keeping their bucket up to date is a fantastic idea!  Of course, depending on the age of the child, he or she would need a little guidance (I can see my daugher filling hers with chocolate -- and shes 16!), but this really would make keeping clothes rotated out and up to date.  Even in  a disaster, I can just see my teenagers refusing to wear something that I put in their emergency kit.  "Mom, what were you thinking when you put THAT in there?!"

So, see, in paradise, you can get some work done.  You just need to get away from it all sometimes to discover things you'd never thought of before.  Well, that and maybe the mai tai...  Aloha.

No comments:

Post a Comment