Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Word

Word Power! Word On! Go Words! That is the extent of my cheer list, but words can be powerful stuff and we sometimes forget that. For example, I teach an Occupational Health class through the Health Science Department here at the University and my students had to write a 10-15 page paper (yeah, am I mean or crazy?), that examined the duties of a particular occupation and its associated hazards and prevention methods. As usual, there was the range of the stunningly wonderful paper to the, well, the not so wonderful. And, what makes the difference? The words!

Words, carefully chosen and assembled, can create visual images, deliver important information or even teach. They can tell a story, provide details to a process or event or provide the opportunity to experience something from another person’s perspective. In the right order, they can be powerful. Elegant. Musical. They can make a person say, “Wow!” or “Beautiful,” or give a person pause.
I am reminded of this aspect of words when considering of the importance of communication – for any reason. I am communicating right now – through my blog – in the hopes of telling you a story, however brief, that will make you say, “Gee, I never thought of that before.” And, just because it is in my personality and, quite frankly, I can’t help myself, I always like to throw in something to make you smile or possibly solicit an LOL.

When I tell people why we need to be prepared for emergencies, I carefully choose my words. Words can act like clubs, a tap on a shoulder, or even a tickle. They make the difference of inviting a reader, or turning them off, so it is important that you know how to use them to your advantage.

They are powerful stuff, those words, so choose carefully. Go Words!

No comments:

Post a Comment