Sunday, November 28, 2010

My hope for all of us

I am late for my blog. I really do try to publish every Friday, but there was just too much going on this week. Thursday was dinner at the in-laws and Friday was meant for early morning shopping sprees and eating even more turkey. I could blame it on the tryptophan in the turkey making me too drowsy, but that correlation is completely false. People get drowsy because they just eat too darn much. It was probably getting up at 3 am to shop that completely wore me out. Who keeps deciding to make those sales earlier each year anyway??

But this extra day has given me the opportunity to reflect on humanity and what would happen when a disaster hits.

Earlier this week I was in San Francisco with my teenage daughter. While waiting for our car in the parking garage, we engaged in some light-hearted conversation with two gentlemen also waiting for their car. As we got in our car, my daughter remarked how nice they were and how great it feels when complete strangers take the time to be pleasant and have a conversation. It got me thinking about something that Steve McAndrew (He's a fabulous person with the International Red Cross--more later) noted about this phenomenon in Haiti. In the middle of complete devastation, people, often strangers to one another, offered their hand, their help, their humanity to one another.

So my brief message this week is for the hope for us. I hope that civility and sincere help and giving to one another in times of crisis will triumph even in times of despair. I hope so. I sincerely hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment